Thursday, February 25, 2010

Who would have thought?

If someone would have told me 14 years ago as I was graduating from high school that some day I would a stay at home mom to 3 kids, living on 4.5 acres and milking a cow I would have laughed at them. I was going to be business woman, with a career and all that good stuff. My kids were going to drink bottles, not be breastfed. I was going to have a big house in the middle of town where all the "fun" stuff was at. Oh how little I knew and how crazy an idea now that I look back on it.

Thinking back I can't think of a time in my life that I have felt so fulfilled by what I get done in a day. Even on days that I say I have gotten nothing done that is so far from the trust. I have changed many diapers, fed the children more times than I can count. I have fed the animals and milked the cow and gathered the eggs. Just those things alone are enough to keep any sane person busy right.

A normal day on the farm is always busy and there is always more that needs to be done. Take today for example, the kids are crabby from not enough sleep and its so terribly cold outside that the last thing I want to do is go outside. But I have nursed the little one 3 times, loaded the dishwashers, taken food scraps to the chickens and checked for any stray eggs to prevent them from freezing. The husband also fed all the animals and made sure that waters were still full. The milking was put off because we didn't seperate the calf off last night and the attempt to milk would have been a wash. Add to the day that the dishwasher is running and lunch is thawing and laundry has been started and its been a pretty productive day so far.

Having a farm that you choose to live off of is not for the faint at heart or for someone that wants the easy way out, but it is something that can fill your heart with joy and that is something to be proud of.

No comments:

Post a Comment