Wednesday, August 25, 2010

A busy week of Canning

This week has been very crazy. Long days with lots to do.
I started on Sunday at my moms. We picked a 10 gallon tote of green beans that was 2/3rds full. We also brought home enough tomatoes for a batch of salsa. On top of that I had a bunch of tomatoes (more than a batch of salsa worth) sitting at the house from our garden.

So Monday I snapped all the beans to prepare them for canning. We ended up getting 14 quarts of green beans when I canned them on Tuesday.

Tuesday I started my day with getting a batch of green beans in the canner and set in peeling the tomatoes. I filled my huge water bath pan with diced tomatoes by the end of the day. After we had supper I mixed up salsa and cooked up 2 batches, equaling 37 pints of salsa. We have a grand total of 54 jars for the year. Araya is thrilled as she loves to eat it on anything she can. I was also able to get 7 pints of diced tomatoes and tossed out about 4 more to the chickens as I was out of space in the 2 water bath canners that had at this point ran twice after putting kids to bed. I was so tired, it was time to call it a night.

Then Wednesday I peeled, cored and sliced up a grocery sack full of pears and got them ready to can. I put them in an extra light syrup which is just perfect for my family and canned up 11 pint jars of them. Now if I can get enough pears to do that 4 more times we will have enough to get through the year.

Thursday I will start my day by getting Applesauce cooking and then peel, core and slice up apples to put in the freezer. Tho they don't look the prettiest they make great apple pies and apple crisp in the middle of winter.

1 comment:

  1. Wow!! You have been busy. Everything looks so good.

    ReplyDelete