Thursday, April 22, 2010

A taste of Freedom!

My chickens normally do not get to free-range unfortunately, however we are in the process of building them their own chicken tractor so that they have access to more of the farm. The choice to not free range them is not one that I have made lightly. It would be my preference, they would be so much happier and it really is better for them....NORMALLY. However my 9 lb Miniature Dachshund thinks that they are toys and is very detremental to them.
Photobucket
Today tho they decided to get out of their coop. Ya see there is not any lights in there so when we go in to feed then or get eggs you have to leave the door open to be able to see. So they decided to make a break for it. Really it was pretty funny to see as they must have been planning it because while the door was open a pair made the run for it. So out I go to chase them and silly me I didn't shut the door behind me and by the time I had caught the first one, there were 3 or 4 more out. So I gave up and let them have their fun.
Photobucket
And boy were they having fun. In fact they didn't go back in until right before dark at which time they were all back in the coop perched up for the night.
This has given me the incentive to get our act together and get their chicken tractor ready for them. They need to have the time to get out in the grass, eat the bugs and enjoy themselves.
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment